Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sports and Dave

I was talking with some of the guys in my ward in Emmett today, and we were talking about Dave, and the subject turned to Softball. i still can remember going and cheering for all you guys in church softball, well at least the ones in the 19th ward. These are some of my favorite memories. I can recall the Weldon kid, and Troy Bennett, Todd Williams, maybe Brett but not sure. And we would go out to those fields off of Locust Grove, And if I recall the 19th ward was pretty good and went to regionals or area or something. and how sad I was that church softball kinda went away as I got old enough t o play. anyhow, Emmett put together an interdenominational co-ed softball league, the guys in my ward all loved having Dave's athleticism, that is until Dave moved to Sweet and when my Ward played Dave's Ward and he single-handedly beat our entire offense, (except me, I hit away from Dave, and over the fence) I think he ranged from far right to left center, he caught everything hit in the air and fielded everything on the ground. My ward was very frustrated, as we were one of the better teams in our league, , They also loved Dave in church ball, until he moved to Sweet and and they ran the table in the Stake tournament. I can't think of many sports that David did not excel at. I was always jealous of that, it seems he used up all of the sports genes and left my Mom with none to be able to pass on to me. But I was always proud of him when the guys in my ward would come to church and could not believe how he badly he had beat them.

3 comments:

Brad Dildine said...

Brent, I remember those games too. We had a lot of great games against the old 19th ward (I was 20th ward). I also remember many one on one basketball games with Dave. I remember him trying to teach me a move he learned by playing against a taller Brett Smith. Dang, Dave was a good freind!

smitee said...

I taught Dave everything he knew :) Actually, Dave learned his famous scoop shot while playing me. He would always pump fake and then scoop his shot under my arms. Dave still used that shot as he did layups. He would always scoop to the opposite side of the rim to REALLY piss me off. Softball was great. I think the "born to sit on the bench" was created then because Dave, Todd, and I rode the pine.

Brad Dildine said...

That was the one Brett. The ol scoop shot. I never quiet mastered it like Dave. :(