Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Bearskin Creek adventures

I met Dave the summer of '92. I was needing a place to live down at BYU (the Zoo) and if I remember right Brad Dildine put me in touch with Dave. Even though I went to the best High School in the state of Idaho (Meridian), I allowed Dave, Steve, Derin, and Jason to let me live with them in Provo in order to make themselves look respectable.
That summer, I took Dave up to Bearskin Creek near Bear Valley to scout for elk. We had made plans to bowhunt that year. As we drove in, we saw a huge herd near Bruce Meadows. We tooled around on his brother's bikes the next day and scouted around. When bow season finally opened, we made the trip up and hunted with Brad and Scooter. We always loved going back up.
I think it was 2000 when, after a few years hiatus, Dave and I made another trip up to hunt elk during archery season. We got up there, set up camp in the afternoon, and went out for an evening hunt. Dave and I had talked about how we would hunt the area, got set up and worked our plan. Things couldn't have been more perfect. Within about 15 minutes I had called in a spike to Dave, and he made the shot. We were totally jacked! When we got to Dave's first elk with his bow, it was awesome. Dave decided I should hike the 1/4 mile back to his truck with the bows and bring back an old army stretcher he had found while deer hunting to pack the elk out with. We thought that would be easy...what a joke! But, in the 30 minutes I was gone, Dave had his elk cleaned and half caped...but packing it out sucked! Dave had a hacksaw that he had dulled the blade on cutting fence at his place in Emmett.
I am going to miss him...

1 comment:

BCoburn said...

Jim, I have been trying to figure out who posted on the statesman's web site about his first bow hunt. I racked my brain for at least 10 minutes. Thanks for posting on here. Hope to see you this week.